My Birth Story Pt. 1

    As I carried this baby in my womb I realized what a precious gift his life was to me. Concerned that Colby and I may have issues getting pregnant we sought prayer. So many people prayed for us and gave us scripture to cling to while we waited. One of my fondest memories of that journey was one of Colby’s childhood mentors and friend, Mr. Tod Lanier. He prayed over Colby Psalm 127:4-5 Children born to a young man are like arrows in a warrior’s hands. 5 How joyful is the man whose quiver is full of them! I will never forget holding hands and laying in bed with Colby just praying that promise back to the Lord.

    Well God is faithful and we conceived Cypress Bruner Moore in September of 2015. His name stems from a few very significant things in our lives. First, my husband and myself are lovers of all things nature. Colby especially LOVES plants, and majored in biology studying tons of Botany in college. Second, we are both from Georgia. A place deeply ingrained into both of our hearts. The place we fell in love and where both of our families are planted. If you’ve been in South Georgia you’ve seen the swamps just slammed packed with the giant knotty knees and roots of Cypress trees. Boy, they’re a magnificent sight. Finally and most importantly we wanted Cypress’ name to be a reminder to him always of the God we love and serve. My prayer over him is always Jeremiah 17:7-8 “But blessed are those who trust in the Lord and have made the Lord their hope and confidence. 8 They are like trees planted along the riverbank with roots that reach deep into the water. Such trees are not bothered by the heat or worried by long months of drought. Their leaves stay green, and they never stop producing fruit. And Psalm 1:3 They are like trees planted along the riverbank, bearing fruit each season. Their leaves never wither, and they prosper in all they do. Bruner is a cherished family name that his daddy also holds as his middle name. 

    Pregnancy had been good to me. Well except for the deadly six week long virus that they mistakenly named morning sickness. Then at our twenty week ultrasound my doctor nearly gave me a heart attack when he said that my cervix was measuring on the short end and that put me at risk for delivering Cypress prematurely. Then a sweet friend told me to pray for God to give me a promise to hold tight to as the weeks passed. God gave me Psalm 102:28 The children of your people will live in security. Their children’s children will thrive in your prescence. Every time my mind got anxious and scared  I immediately reminded myself of that verse and cast down my fear and anxiety. 

    Cypress was due June 3, 2016. Well that day came and went. I guess we prayed too hard for my cervix because this little boy was taking his sweet time. Then came the fear again as I felt the pressure to get induced. I really did not want to be given pitocin because frankly I believe that hospital protocol causes too many early interventions that lead to unnecessary Cesareans. Don’t get me wrong here, Thank God for necessary intervention that saves the precious lives of babies and mothers. My desire was to be able to have a vaginal delivery though. So again I was in a situation where I had to lean not on my understanding but trust the Lord. Finally on June 9 at 2:00 a.m. I woke to some painful contractions. I began to time them, but they were so staggered and inconsistent I just decided it wasn’t the real thing. For some reason though I could not lay down. It hurt too bad. So after being up all night my mom and Colby woke up, and I told them I thought I was in labor. I called the doctor’s office and told them what was going on, but since my wishes were to not be induced their advice was to stay home as long as possible. So my mom made me go walk around three different stores and then the mall. She even made me stop and pose for pictures after contractions. I would literally walk for a few minutes and then have to stop and lean against a wall until the contraction passed. We finally got home that evening and played a card game while I bounced and rocked through contractions on my birthing ball. I was still timing, but sometimes they would come as far as fifteen minutes apart, and I was advised not to go until they were five minutes apart for an hour. I still hadn’t slept and my mom advised we should go to bed. I laid down and had one contraction in bed that just made me burst into tears. I couldn’t take it anymore. I weepily asked Colby and then my mom if we could go to the hospital.      

  We loaded up the car and upon arrival I was asked to fill out some forms. Mid form I had a horrible contraction and had to lean against the wall. Luckily Colby took over the paper work. I was taken to the room where they monitor you and they checked my cervix at 11:00 p.m. I was at a six! I was so relieved as they said how surprised they were that I had labored that long at home, and that they were getting a room ready for me right away. Then I realized that it was real labor and as I had to lay in that bed the contraction pain got unbearable. Even worse I knew when one was coming because poor Cypress’ heart rate would speed up right before then following was forty five seconds of agony! I immediately requested a birthing ball, but it never came. Then I got into my room where I asked again, and still never got one. Don’t get me wrong my nurse was amazing, but I think nurses are just more comfortable when you’re hooked up so they can monitor you and baby. 

   I was an absolutely evil person during contractions. I didn’t want anyone talking or moving or touching me. Then I threw up a pile of lasagna. I know right, bad choice for my “last supper” so to speak. I’d had enough and finally asked for the epidural. I had a contraction in the middle of the anesthiologist administering it, but when it was done I got some sweet relief! I was like night and day, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. I was so relieved I even got a boost of energy and wanted to talk to my mom and hubby finally. To my great disappointment they were fast asleep. At three a.m. I was checked again and hadn’t progressed any further….

To be continued. 


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.